I’m currently reading the book TTYL by Lauren Myracle. As I read I began noticing things like social classes and social hierarchies being developed. There are many clique and I feel as though those clique cliques are a part of the reason why some people clearly have more power than others. When we put ourselves in groups and close ourselves off from meeting other people your popularity status goes down. As for those who know more people and those who aren’t seen as “weird” in society their ranking in the hierarchy is higher and therefore they have more power. I think that although she never talks in the book personally, Jana is one person who sows a lot of power in this book.
I feel as though in the text she can do whatever she wants whenever she wants and she doesn’t care what she has to do to get that. I don’t mean this is a good way. She acts ridiculous because her social ranking is higher than others. She acts like different is not okay but if anything different is more average than being normal. Her power is shown in many ways. One example is that she picks on people because of their weight and because of little things that shouldn’t make a difference. I think fact that she believes she can do that is what gives her power.
Not only that but because nobody does anything about it she continues to do this , as if it’s okay. No one stands up to her because they are scared but they don’t realize that just gives her more fuel and more power to continue with it. Also, another way that Jana shows power is that she acts like she is better than others. She acts as though she is of a higher class than everyone else. She acts like no one else matters. For example, she ignores people when they say “hi” to her if she thinks that they aren’t worth saying “hi” to.
Overall, these are just some examples of the power shown in the book TTYL by Lauren Myracle.
No comments:
Post a Comment