Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Reading Response : Uglies By Scott Westerfeld


Reading Response: Uglies By Scott Westerfeld
I am currently reading the book, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. In the book anybody who is normal is considered ugly and they are separated from everybody who is pretty. When you become sixteen you are allowed to get an operation to turn you into a pretty and Tally, the main character, can’t wait. This book brings up some interesting points that I’d like to discuss.

As I started to read the book , I began to think the scar that Tally and Peris share is a symbol of friendship that the two share. However, when Peris becomes a Pretty he tells Tally that they cannot be friends until she is a Pretty in three months. I think that Tally and Peris' connection is deeper than just the scar, and that their scars bring them together, but Peris’ scar was removed in his “pretty” operation. What does that mean for their friendship, and would it affect their friendship in anyway? This makes me think if Peris was really Tally's friend why would she have to change for him? I think that if Peris cared about their friendship as much as Tally did he would be willing to break rules just to talk to her, knowing the consequences the same way that Tally did.

Then later on in the book, after we meet Shay, Shay brings up a good point that “pretty” is boring. Being a pretty could possibly mean no more boarding because that is not what pretties do. As well, no more visiting Ugly town because that is not what pretties do. No more hanging out past the city’s border because that is not what pretties do. Nothing Tally does is what pretties do. Tally understands the things she’ll have to let go of but she still wants to be a pretty. This leads me to believe that all Tally wants is to be accepted in society. Even when she was a “littlie” she made morphs of what she wanted to look like after her procedure. All of her life, Tally has been mistreated, belittled and has been an outcast, all because she is ugly in everybody else’s eyes. For example, Tally is called a pig when she crashes the Ugly party, and people even ask “what’s wrong with her face?” I think that Tally is overwhelmed with all of these feelings that she can’t live with them anymore. Even though Tally might not get to do all the things she does as an ugly when she becomes a pretty, Tally is willing to let go of those things just to be accepted by everybody else.

So far, I am really enjoying the book. I think that the book allows me to inquire about what is happening in the book and what that means, and think about the way the characters feel.

4 comments:

  1. I love this book and I agree with what you are saying about Tally and Peris's scars. The further time they spend apart, the less close they become, unlike the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder." Not to give anything away but, in the next book, Pretties, we see why Peris's character has been so downplayed and what he really believes in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taitu-
    i still remember reading this book because i really enjoyed it as a read... :) i really liked your response and you bring up a couple of good points. If what Tally and Peris had was such a strong friendship and connection, why is he suddenly shunning her? You would think he would at least make an effort to come see her. So why the sudden change? Is being a Pretty really that important, or is it something deeper and weirder than that. Keep reading- it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think that Tally is overwhelmed with everyone telling her what to do. Tally is pressured into doing something he doesn't necessarily want to do. I really like your response because it shows both points of view, the Ugly and Pretty side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think this is a fairly great response. i think you got your point across and although your response flows together it also fallows the "reading response" format. I think the word pretty in this response could represent many other thing in the world like long hair. i feel like this book could be a good mentor to girls who are insecure about them self.

    ReplyDelete