Thursday, March 21, 2013


I am currently reading the book Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. Stargirl throughout the book is areal example for all of us to be ourselves and not care what people think about. She shows us how to be unique and different from everybody else. Here is my personal response for the book Stargirl.

From the very beginning I started to think about the characters Leo and Stargirl and there relationship. The new girl in the beginning, otherwise known as Stargirl Caraway, seems to be different from everybody else.Nobody really gets her deal because she is not afraid to be different. When they had a rare rainfall the teacher told everyone to come inside away from the rain. Stargirl stayed outside dancing in the rain. Not to mention, she carries her pet rat to school with her in her book bag. But this connects to the relationship between Leo sLeo knows from the moment that Stargirl walks in his life will change. Leo wants to believe that Stargirl isn’t real because the things that Stargirl can do seems too outrageous for him. Leo doesn’t want things to change and that is why he continuously believes that Stargirl is just a figment of his imagination. But she is not. Stargirl is real.

Something that I noticed the author doing in the book was, instead of writing Leo’s dialogue in quotation marks he wrote the dialogue like a regular sentence. for example instead of saying: “No” I replied , the author literally wrote out: I told him no. Maybe the author did this on purpose to show how the narrator, Leo wasn’t listening and didn’t necessarily care what Kevin was saying to him. I say this because the author used quotation marks to write Kevin’s dialogue most likely because Kevin was screaming at Leo. To show how little Leo cared what Kevin was saying he didn’t even bother to use quotation marks.

Leo and Kevin took advantage of the fact that Stargirl was so different to get publicity for their show. This also made me think about Stargirl and Leo’s relationship. Through the book, their relationship changes. I think that Leo begins to understand Stargirl more throughout the book and doesn’t take advantage of Stargirl and the fact that she is so different. When Archie, a friend of Leo’s, says to Leo “She is more us than we are us”, Leo begins to finally understand Stargirl’s “deal”. I am inferring that Archie means that Stargirl realizes her true potential, and embraces it. Stargirl is more of us than we are us because most of us don't realize what kind of person we could really be and the great potential that we all have. Stargirl has accomplished that. If only we could see our true potential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment